BIWC member Miriam Blackman from El Salvador
A treat for art lovers! Tierras Raras – Rare Earths – Seltene Erden @ the Spandau Stadtbibliothek. To quote Miriam:
Structures and forms in nature fascinate me…. I collect the materials for my collages on my journeys to Latin America, where I have found my rare earths and integrate them into collages. The colors and structures are the quintessence of my experiences and my feelings about our rare Earth.
When: 11 May to 26 June
Where: Carl-Schurz-Str. 13 in Berlin-Spandau.
Opening times: Mo-Fri 10:00-20:00, Sa 10:00-15:00
BIWC member Penny from the UK
BIWC member Penny is an aficionado of fine dining and has often written restaurant reviews, known as Penny’s Winners, in the Club’s monthly Newsletter. These are her top ten favourites:
- Cinco, in Das Stue Hotel, Berlin-Tiergarten
- Facil Restaurant in the Mandala Hotel, Potsdamer Platz
- Lamazère Brasserie, Stuttgarter Platz 18, Berlin-Wilmersdorf
- Martha’s Restaurant, Grunewaldstrasse 81, Berlin-Schöneberg
- Lava, Flughafenstr. 46, Berlin-Neukölln
- Landlust Körzin, Dorfstraße (Körzin) 19, Beelitz, Brandenburg
- Hafenrestaurant Ernest, Am Schwielowsee 120, 14542 Werder, Brandenburg
- Kochzimmer Restaurant, Berliner Straße 195, Beelitz, Brandenburg
- Restaurant Haveli (Indian), Luitpoldstraße 26, Berlin-Schöneberg
- Heising, Rankestraße 32, Berlin-Charlottenburg
An interview with BIWC member Beatrix from Austria
Hilary from the UK used to be the Club’s Public Relations Officer on the Executive Committee (EC). She addressed our members in one of our monthly Newsletters:
As Public Relations Officer, it is my job to spread the word about the BIWC, and I am more than happy to do this because I think the Club is fantastic. What is so good about it? Lots of things!
We play a vital and unique role in the Berlin area. We help those who are new here to settle in quickly and feel at home, and then, through the very many activities, friendships can be further developed and interests pursued.
The wide range of nationalities, backgrounds and ages of our members is remarkable. Where else would you have the chance to make friends with so many very different women?
The monthly programme is truly impressive: there are just so many activities from which to choose. Meet & Greet is one of the highlights for me. These regular monthly morning and evening meetings in wonderful German tradition (Stammtisch) provide a great opportunity for everyone to get together for a couple of hours of relaxed conversation.
Finally, I have always been impressed by how professionally the Club is run, and being a member of the EC, I can see just how much hard work goes into this. It is only because so many are willing to play their part that things run as smoothly and successfully as they do.